Except for a brief period in Louisville, all of our staff at Hippo Direct have worked from a home-based office. This structure provides us with many advantages over the traditional cubicle-filled office, including:
- More effective use of time with limited interruptions from co-workers and meetings
- 1 minute commute to your desk each morning
- Efficient collaboration with co-workers using today’s technology
- 6 more weeks of work output per year. If it typically takes you 30 minutes to get from your house to your office desk, you can save 250 hours of wasted time per year by working at home. That’s equivalent to adding more than 6 full weeks of productive work time each year!
- Financial Rewards – Home offices can be the foundation for your company’s and staff’s solid financial future. Instead of paying $3,000 a month for office leases for the past 25 years, we’ve used that money for added salary, investments in business growth, and 401(k) plan contributions. The cumulative total of these “home office savings” now exceeds a million dollars!
Work-at-home Productivity Tips
Here are some tips to increase your productivity when working at home:
- Don’t turn on your TV
- Leave your desk for a short break every 20-30 minutes
- Interact with other people, in person, every day
- Exercise daily – the home office allows you to split up exercise into different segments of the day
- Define an area of your house as “work only”
- Tell your friends and family that your time working at home is just as valuable as theirs in the office
- Check out this article for over 100 more tips to running a successful home-based business
My advice is for everyone to find a way to work from home as much as possible. You’ll be amazed how much more you can accomplish.