Imagine starting your career in investment banking and private equity, then pivoting to launch your own travel app. That’s the story of this week’s podcast guest, Stephanie Goldman! Episode #38 of the Wild Business Growth Podcast is HEEEEEERE and features the CEO and Founder of Map2Next, the trip planning and travel discovery app that makes finding and sharing great places easy and fun. Listen to the episode on iTunes / Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, and your other favorite audio platforms – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re ready to try out Map2Next!
What is the Wild Business Growth Podcast?
Hear how entrepreneurs & innovators unleash creativity to grow bigger and better businesses. Hear from an exciting new guest every single Wednesday morning who’s turning wild ideas into wild growth. Guests include startup founders, product inventors, social media influencers, and much more. Hosted by our digital marketing dude Max Branstetter – that’s me!
Episode #38: Stephanie Goldman – Travel App Creator, Founder of Map2Next
Stephanie Goldman, the CEO and Founder of Map2Next, joins the show to share her journey from the worlds of investment banking and private equity to launching a trip planning app. Stephanie and I are friends from the same floor freshman year at Indiana University. We were both students at the Kelley School of Business and have kept in touch since graduation. You could tell back then Stephanie was set to do impressive things, and I was thrilled to see she took the big leap to start an app she’s passionate about and could help so many people! It was so special reconnecting with her for this interview, and was icing on the cake releasing it on IU Day. Stephanie is one of the most intelligent, thoughtful, and fun leaders you’ll ever meet. This episode covers everything from the ups and downs of building an app to how to pivot your career. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How to turn an idea into a business
- The value of customer feedback
- How to approach moving to a new city you’ve never been before
- The creative power of commencement speeches
- How to assess the risk of a startup
- Why work and life are blended when you’re an entrepreneur
- How to monetize your platform
- The best places to roadtrip to in California
Connect with Stephanie at Stephanie@Map2Next.com, on LinkedIn, on Instagram at @x_steph_0 (zero), and download Map2Next on the App Store.
Enjoy the show and get your travel on! Check out the show notes below for much more detail.
- [0:19] This episode was released on #IUday 2019
- [0:30] Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for help starting and building your own podcast or with digital marketing
- [0:40] Connect with Stephanie at Stephanie@Map2Next.com, on LinkedIn, on Instagram at @x_steph_0 (zero), and download Map2Next on the App Store
- [0:43] Map2Next
- [0:47] Indiana University (IU)
- [1:17] The Loyalty Store
- [1:33] BGC = “Bryan Ground Club” in McNutt
- [1:44] Kelley School of Business
- [2:16] Stephanie’s background
- [3:32] Kelley Living Learning Center (KLLC)
- [3:52] Investment Banking Workshop
- [4:07] Barclays
- [5:05] GI Partners
- [6:41] How Stephanie pivoted from finance to technology
- [7:15] “That’s the way the cookie crumbles”
- [7:35] How to approach moving to a new city you’ve never been before
- [9:33] How Kelley sparked Stephanie’s interest in entrepreneurship
- [10:49] I-Core
- [11:23] Cal-Berkeley, Stanford University
- Creating and Building the Mobile Travel App Map2Next
- [12:52] Download Map2Next on the App Store!
- [13:11] Google Maps, Yelp, Waze, Thrillist, Buzzfeed
- [13:32] What is Map2Next?
- [14:14] Santa Barbara
- [14:28] Google
- [16:00] The difference between this launch version and future versions of Map2Next
- [16:30] Eater, TimeOut
- [17:21] Mission Dolores Park
- [18:16] How to turn an idea into a business
- [20:00] Sketch, Figma, PowerPoint
- [20:25] iPhone
- [22:04] Pablo Picasso
- [23:15] Stephanie’s biggest challenge so far
- [24:50] What’s the most rewarding part of the startup journey
- [25:10] The other business idea Stephanie’s thinking of launching: The Loyalty Store
- [26:02] Uber
- [26:18] Stephanie’s favorite use of Map2Next
- [28:34] What is The Loyalty Store?
- [29:55] OpenTable, TripAdvisor
- [30:23] The Cheesecake Factory
- [30:52] eGift Cards
- [31:02] Groupon
- [31:35] What The Loyalty Store will look like to the consumer
- [32:01] Point of Sale terminal (POS)
- [33:15] Connect with Hippo Direct at HippoDirect.com for all your mailing list, email list, digital marketing, and podcasting needs
- Inspiration & Creativity: People, Hobbies, and Resources
- [33:47] Oprah
- [34:24] Sara Blakely, Spanx
- [35:24] Hobbies for creativity
- [35:42] Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Silicon Valley, Berkeley
- [35:54] #HoopDreamz
- [36:01] SRSC
- [36:32] Y Combinator
- [36:44] The creative power of commencement speeches
- [36:51] Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman
- [37:01] Stephanie’s experience meeting Reid Hoffman
- [37:10] TechCrunch Disrupt
- [37:40] LinkedIn
- [37:59] The best commencement speeches, Ellen DeGeneres commencement speech
- [38:17] Harvard University
- [38:24] Mark Zuckerberg commencement speech, Sheryl Sandberg commencement speech
- Wild Business Shoutout of the Week
- [39:31] Tiffany Haddish
- [39:40] Kevin Hart
- [39:51] Tiffany Haddish viral interview story with Will & Jada Pinkett Smith on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- [39:56] Everglades
- [40:07] Groupon Super Bowl Commercial with Tiffany Haddish
- Rapid-Fire Q&A
- [41:48] The best places to roadtrip to in California
- [42:03] Yosemite, Yosemite Sam
- [42:11] Weird talents
- [42:50] Favorite basketball memory
- [43:39] Favorite IU memory
- [44:20] Christian Watford’s buzzer beater vs. Kentucky (it goes in every time)
- [45:44] Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU
- [46:31] Connect with Stephanie at Stephanie@Map2Next.com, on LinkedIn, on Instagram at @x_steph_0 (zero), and download Map2Next on the App Store
- [47:02] Stephanie’s final thoughts
- [47:20] Why work and life are blended when you’re an entrepreneur
- [47:35] The complications from friends getting involved in your business
- [47:50] Why you need to have a strong personal mission
- [48:31] Started in a blender now we’re here
- [48:50] Download Map2Next on the App Store!
- [48:56] Subscribe to the Wild Business Growth Podcast and leave a 5-star review on iTunes / Apple Podcasts and more!
- [49:06] Check out the Hippo Direct Blog at HippoDirect.com/Blog for show notes, Favorite Books, and the Hippo Digest
- [49:08] Get your creative juices flowing with the Hippo Digest – your Weekly Recap of Creative Marketing
- [49:15] Connect with Hippo Direct on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or YouTube including #HippoTips
- [49:17] Connect with me on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn at @MaxBranstetter
- Theme music: Freestyle Percussion Magik – Jungle Tribe – provided by Jamendo
How do I start a podcast?
How’d you like a podcast of your own? Email me at email@example.com with questions on any part of the podcasting process:
- Podcast Planning
- Podcast Production
- Podcast Promotion
If you’re interested, we’ll connect for a free 30-minute consultation and provide some helpful resources that have been instrumental in getting the Wild Business Growth Podcast up and rolling and connecting with high-quality guests. We love making your podcast the best it can be. Let your podcast Run Wild!
That’s all for this trip! What’s Next? Get recharged for a wild new guest every single Wednesday morning! Let us know any guests you’d like to see on the show and follow along for your favorite marketing tips, business tips, and podcasts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or YouTube. You’ll especially enjoy this list of the favorite books of Wild Business Growth Podcast guests. Sign up for the Hippo Digest email newsletter for your Weekly Recap of Creative Marketing. Let your business Run Wild…and Bring on the Bongos!!